major: Medical Physics
The main purpose of creating the stream “Medical Physics” as one of four proposed in the inter-faculty studies of Biomedical Engineering at the Gdańsk University of Technology was to offer broad education in medical physics incorporating the latest scientific and professional findings in medical instruments, diagnostics and therapy. Obviously, it all would not be possible without a good understanding of fundamentals of atomic, molecular and nuclear physics, and particularly radiation physics including the principles of all kinds of radiation used in medicine. At present, medical physicists working in hospitals are responsible for beam measurements and quality assurance, treatment planning and patient positioning during the cancer therapy with the use of external radiation beams or internal radioactive sources. They can also design and control radiation installations for hospitals to ensure its proper functioning and to take precautions against the hazards of radiation. In many research institutions medical physicists are involved in the research and design of new medical equipment, developing new applications and new imaging procedures. Such versatile specialists also have to posses skills and knowledge to communicate both with physicians (Fundamentals of Imaging in Medicine, Radiobiology, Anatomy and Physiology) and technical staff – electronic engineers, IT specialists etc. We hope that the program of our specialization realized in the inter-faculty studies of Biomedical Engineering in Gdańsk University of Technology is a good solution of gaining such combined and professional education.
In the first level of education - the undergraduate studies the stream “Physics in Medicine” , after four periods of common general subjects, involves the three-semester dedicated program offering:
- Basic education in general physics:
• “Physics in biology and medicine” - lectures and tutorials,
• “Calculus in Physics and Technique” - lectures and tutorials,
• “Mathematical Methods of Biophysics”- lectures and tutorials,
• “MathLab programming” – laboratory,
• “Physics laboratory” – laboratory,
• “Fundamentals of Nanotechnology” - lectures and laboratory,
• “Generation and Detection of Radiation” – lectures,
• “Generation and Detection of Magnetic Fields” – lectures;
- Thorough background in atomic and nuclear physics – lectures, tutorials and / or laboratories:
• “Introduction to Atomic and Molecular Physics”,
• “Physics of Atomic Nucleus and Elementary Particles”,
• “Laboratory in Nuclear Physics”,
• “Fundamentals of Spectroscopy”
followed by more detailed description of their wide-ranging applications in various fields of medicine and biology:
• “Nuclear Medicine and Radiotherapy”,
• “Radiobiology and Radiation Protection”,
• “Medical Imaging”,
• “Particle Accelerators”,
• “Introduction to Modeling of Biological Systems”,
• “Lasers in Medicine”,
• “Ultrasounds in Medicine”.
The multidisciplinary character of the studies is reflected by the fact that teaching is performed by experts from diverse areas: experimental and theoretical physicists, physicians, electro- and acousto- engineers.
During the 3-semester undergraduate studies students have to complete the four-week training period preferably in hospitals and centers of diagnostic and therapy.
The second level of education - graduate studies is planned for another
3 semesters, the first of which covers the range of general education subjects, common for all the specialties of Biomedical Engineering. In the 2nd and 3rd semester the studies in “Physics in Medicine” offer more detailed insight to issues described during the first level:
• “Optical Spectroscopy in Medicine”,
• “Nanotechnology in Medicine”
• “Collisional Spectroscopy”,
• “Detectors of Radiation”,
• “Molecular Physics”.
During the 2nd and 3rd semester a research thesis in a relevant area of medical physics also has to be completed, and passing of all the exams including the final defense can be honored by the title Master of Science.
Contact person: Dr Brygida Mielewska firstname.lastname@example.org